Date: November 20, 2017 19:00 - 21:00
Location: Genesis Block, 1/F, Kwong Wah Building, 269-273 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
(Entrance on Graham Street)
Gareth Hayes (Bitcoin Association of Hong Kong)
A gentle introduction to what Bitcoin is all about. No prior knowledge is assumed. Some of the things that will be discussed are:
- How to buy Bitcoin safely,
- How the Bitcoin system works and what makes it secure,
- How Bitcoin addresses and ‘wallets’ work,
- What bitcoin ‘forks’ are and how to survive one,
- What’s the difference between Bitcoin and all these other things we keep hearing about such as Altcoins and ICOs?
Taking the first step into Bitcoin can be daunting. You’ll learn how to do things safely and not mess it up:
- How to buy (and sell) Bitcoin,
- How to store Bitcoin,
- How to transfer Bitcoin to other addresses (or people)
It’s fine to just watch, but if you want to participate please bring a laptop and two blank USB sticks.
- Get help with setting up your first wallet.
- Set up ‘cold storage’ where you can safely store Bitcoin long term.
- Send and receive Bitcoin without ever exposing your wallet to an internet connection where it may be exposed to hackers or malware.
Bring a HKD$50 note if you want to test out your wallet with some real Bitcoin.